Why Clinical Pilates & Group Physiotherapy classes are among the best forms of exercise to do during pregnancy.
The current recommendation for exercise during pregnancy according to the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG), is to aim for a total of at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity on most, if not all, days of the week (unless otherwise advised by your GP, midwife or obstetrician).
Regular physical activity has many health benefits during pregnancy such as maintaining a healthy weight, helping to manage gestational diabetes, improving sleep & helping to reduce mental strain or stress. Staying active also notably helps prepare the body for the physical stresses of labour & birth.
However, it is very important to modify & choose a suitable exercise program individually tailored to you. Pregnancy affects every woman’s body & response to exercise differently.
Clinical Pilates & Group Physiotherapy classes, when administered in the appropriate setting by qualified practitioners, are among the best forms of exercise to do while pregnant due to the following benefits:
- Improved post-natal recovery & a reduced likelihood of incontinence issues due to the focus on correct activation & strengthening of your pelvic floor & transversus abdominis muscles (your “core”).
- Increased education, awareness & management of the separation of your rectus abdominis or “six pack” muscle group. Working on this during your pregnancy will additionally lead to an improvement in the post-natal recovery of your abdominal muscle function.
- Improved breathing technique & awareness, which can provide stress relief & strategies to help during labour.
- Increased stability & strength around your back, hips & pelvis, reducing the likelihood of back pain, pelvis issues & pubic symphysis pain.
- Improved posture & strength to help correct some of the changes to your body during pregnancy, plus counteract the hunched positions you’ll frequently be adopting as a new mum!
Whether you are planning on becoming pregnant, currently pregnant or in the postnatal stage, our specialised team of physiotherapists & clinical pilates instructors at Fix & Flex can help you, so call or email us today!